“COVID is having a devastating impact on children — and the vaccine won’t fix everything,” reports NBC News on December 15, 2020. The article goes on to say, “It has been almost 10 months since COVID-19 began battering families in the United States, putting parents out of work, shrouding their homes in grief and loss, and shutting children out of the schools that taught and cared for them. It’s all taken an unthinkable toll on children — a social, emotional and academic ordeal so extreme that some advocates and experts warn its repercussions could rival those of a hurricane or other disaster.”
Nevada’s children, our children, are no exception. Compound the above issues with the devastating economic impact, and you have to wonder who is positioned to help these kids living without the financial means to obtain urgently needed medical, dental, educational, or psychological services or treatment?
Since 2003, the For Kids Foundation has been the only organization providing funding for the urgent, unmet needs of children (birth to age 21) who have fallen through the cracks of existing agencies and charitable organizations, often the last resort for many Northern Nevada families. We only pay when there is no financial resource available. We are often the family’s “last resort” for help.
Below is a list of some of the types of awards funded in 2020:
- Adaptive Devices
- Car Seats
- Dance Lessons
- Dental/Orthodontic Services
- Equine-Assisted Therapy
- Genetic Testing
- Group Sport Fees
- Laptop Computers
- Insurance Copays/Deductibles
- Medical Treatments
- Mental Health Services
- Music/Voice Lessons
- Prescription Medications
- Psychological Evaluations
- Summer Camp
- Swim Lessons
- Text-to-Speech Software
- Travel (for medical care)
As 2021 unfolds and reveals the truly devastating effects last year wreaked on our kids, we anticipate an onslaught of requests for assistance. Thanks to our generous community partners, like Front Office Staff (our in-kind virtual receptionist), we are available to help our most vulnerable kids.
Ways you can help:
- Donate online at www.forkidsfoundation.org
- GratisGives: Local businesses are joining the movement! Please visit www.gratisgives.com
- Melaleuca Online Shoppers: Contact our representative Terri Hoblit at 775-420-8636
- 5th Annual Golf Tournament, Friday, May 21, 2021, at Red Hawk Golf and Resort, Sparks NV. If this year is as successful as last year’s sold-out event, you will want to reserve your spot now! Call 775-741-5231 if you would like to sponsor or provide raffle donations. For information or to register visit: https://forkidsfoundation.org/5th-annual-golf-fundraiser/
Like stars are to the sky, so are the children in our community. They deserve to shine!